Monday, December 23, 2013

Useless Simile Time. Indulge Me.

Driving a car is a lot like using a deep fryer.

Those of you who know me really well know that I am terrified of driving. I only recently got my license, less than one month before my 21st birthday. It's totally scary, let me tell you. I already have a thing about large machinery with loads of power behind them.

I am, however, an avid deep-fryer. I have my own little Fry-daddy (named Small Fry). I was deep frying some potato slices tonight, and I made up this little simile of cars and deep fryers. I am really good at using my deep fryer. I got it nearly four years ago -- it is my pride and joy. It keeps me Southern. I can tell just by listening if something is done cooking in it, I can tell by looking if the oil is hot enough to start cooking in, I can drop things in and snatch my hand back with almost mathematical precision.

The point is, I have practiced deep frying to the point of mastery. There's a ton of dangers with using hot oil, just like there is in driving. Okay, so driving has a lot more threats, especially because it deals with other people, not just your hand that gets burned if you don't get it back fast enough. I'm getting sidetracked again.

I guess I'm just hoping that I will get as good at driving as I do at deep frying.  I hope that I will one day remember all the dangers, but I am so used to dealing with them that they don't scare me anymore. I'm hoping that driving becomes my next deep frying.

-m

No comments:

Post a Comment